Dog person? Want to work for a fast-growing start-up disrupting the pet food market?
Our capes are on to reshape an industry built around a highly processed and unnatural diet. We’re here to make Australian dogs healthy and happy from the inside out through real food.
We deliver fresh, human-grade meals, as a subscription service to dogs all over Australia. All of our nourishing dog food recipes have been formulated by our own in-house vet and the thousands in our pack are thriving on our food.
Since our founding in 2018, we have served over 1.5 million meals and raised AUD$8.4M in capital from venture funds and pet industry insiders, to continue on our mission to help pets live their best life.
Lyka is looking for an all-star Product Development Manager to lead our product innovation and commercialisation. As part of the Ramp;D team, you will lead the development of both food and non-food products and technologies and contribute to the business's long-term growth.
To do this, you will carry out market research, closely monitor industry trends and manage the entire development process, including all stakeholders involved. As well as developing new products, you will also be responsible for optimising and the continual improvement of the existing product portfolio to provide the best experience for our Lyka pack.
Specifically, your main responsibilities will be to:
- Conduct market research and monitor industry trends of ingredients, end-products and technologies in both human and pet food, and the pet space in general
- Conceptualise strategic and creative new products, based on emerging trends amp; technologies and a deep understanding of pet and consumer needs
- Develop a product launch roadmap amp; strategy, based on the evolving market and overall direction of the business
- Partner with research institutes to input on the commercial element of product and technology developments
- Plan, coordinate and manage new product development projects to ensure we meet our go-to-market schedule, coordinating with all stakeholders involved, resolving any issues that may arise
- Coordinate recipe formulation development, working closely with vets and vet nutritionists to ensure products meet the high internal bar, including validating nutritional analysis through nutritional software and laboratories
- Create prototypes, including recipe prototypes, and lead new product tastings and trials
- Manage pricing and expected gross margin of products developed by completing accurate costing of direct and indirect costs, including undertaking supplier feasibility analysis
- Working closely with the operations team throughout the development, to assist in defining the production processes and technologies, to deliver a product to spec and at of the calibre as developed
- Coordinate packaging development and sourcing of new suppliers/materials, working closely with relevant teams such as design and procurement
- Lead projects on improving and refreshing existing products, collating customer feedback and working closely with the operations team to optimise production processes that lead to an improved final product
- Define and track metrics to measure the performance and success of various products
- University Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Chemistry, Law, Commerce, Business or similar
- 2-5 years experience in a fast-paced environment, such as management consulting
- Experience with project management, and with developing and implementing product improvement processes
- Exceptional problem-solver with a robust analytical skillset
- Experienced in financial analysis for decision making
- Deadline-driven, organized and able to multitask
- Good time management and prioritisation skills
- A solid team player who’s also an independent thinker
- Motivated, hard-working and career-driven
- Passion for food and nutrition, particularly in natural feeding of pets
- Technical knowledge or experience in HACCP or food processing is an advantage, but not a must-have (as a fast learner, you will be required to understand it)
- Comfortable with changing priorities and direction as the business requires and evolves. Our growth means there are constantly new things to work on every day. Likely, you’ll often be working across the board on new and exciting projects
- Finally, you?must?love dogs!
- Dog-friendly office - hang out with the original Lyka, and bring your own furry-loved ones
- Growth and Development - Lyka is growing extremely quickly, which means you'll have the opportunity to take your career to the next level through high ownership and fast-pace
- Collaboration - Team Lyka is a unique and collaborative environment. From Engineers to Vets and Chefs, our team excels at leveraging diverse points of view to create amazing results, while having fun along the way
- Competitive salary, including equity in a high-growth start-up