Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.nbsp;
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
The Technical Lead is a valuable member of a product group who enables and contributes to teams, made up of one or more Pods, delivering customer driven functionality in a sustainable and reliable manner. The Technical Lead is hands-on. They facilitate collaboration with engineers across Pods, as well as product owners and designers, in order to solve interesting and challenging delivery problems.
A Technical Lead doing their job well will foster a culture of collective responsibility for delivery and quality, will encourage distributed authority and respect the benefit that comes from Pods changing, innovating and improving without seeking permission.
What you'll do for the Team...
- Ensure expedient and sound technical decisions are made by the Pods. Consulting with Architects, Product Owners, Ops, SRE or others as required
- Contribute towards a culture of continuous improvement acrossnbsp; Pods within their team
- Ensure help is requested from Agile facilitators and Coaches when their skills will help a Pod improve
- Contribute towards a culture that recognises and praises individual efforts and Pod successes
- Work closely with relevant People Leads to help grow the technical expertise of yournbsp; team members based on their agreed career development pans
- Work closely with the development manager and the recruitment team to hire and onboard engineers across the Partner team were required
- Ensure any individual performance deficiencies that are affecting the Pod are identified, brought to the attention of the relevant People Leads and steps are put in place to rectify
What you'll do for the Technology...
- Participate in a Pod as an individual contributor
- Undertake complex development activities meeting the acceptance criteria and complying with Xero’s development team standards and procedures.
- Guide the delivery teams on build and deployment practices, with the aim of increasing pod autonomy
- Proactively identifies and resolves any architectural issues that impact the speed at which the development team can deliver features.
- Assist pods in understanding their non-functional requirements and coaching them on effective and compliant ways of meeting them
- Advocate for development and testing best practices acrossnbsp; your Pods
- Plays an active role collaborating with Architecture and other Technical Leaders in Xero Partner to ensure knowledge, engineering practices and patterns are shared in the product group
- Contribute to the development of engineering as a practice in Xero by producing best practices and sharing these with the broader Xero Partner team.
- Work with the Product Owner and Product Manager to ensure any investments in preventative maintenance for deployables the Pods are responsible for appear at an appropriate level in the Pod’s backlogs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to interact with a variety of individuals at different levels.
- Humbleness and a growth mindset necessary to foster a continuous improvement culture, including the ability to improve yourself.
- Growing people is your passion
- An ability to encourage and get the most out of other Pod members
- Have been mentoring and supporting peers and engineering teams, particularly in reducing technical debt and complexity in applications.
- Able to exercise discretion in relation to sensitive situations and information
- Ability to motivate in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- You have good ideas and can inspire team to come up with better ideas.
- Ability to discern user requirements and develop specifications.
- Ability to set and manage priorities judiciously.
- Ability to articulate ideas to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Is able to build trust and credibility with other Pod members and the Product Owner
- You are able to work through ambiguous requirements and make decisions to push forward
Technical Experience Skills:
- Mastery of at least one development languagenbsp;
- Have deep knowledge of how to write robust, maintainable applications, and a reasonable understanding of how to build and work with distributed, high-volume backend services.
- Have a great understanding of system design, data structures, object oriented programming and software engineering principles, and understand how to apply them to design pragmatic solutions.
- Care about quality and you know what it means to ship high quality code.
- You have experience in identifying, debugging and resolving complex production issues
- Delivery: Familiar with multiple software development methodologies and styles.
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.nbsp;nbsp;
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.