Xero is a beautiful, easy-to-use platform that helps small businesses and their accounting and bookkeeping advisors grow and thrive.nbsp;
At Xero, our purpose is to make life better for people in small business, their advisors, and communities around the world. This purpose sits at the centre of everything we do. We support our people to do the best work of their lives so that they can help small businesses succeed through better tools, information and connections. Because when they succeed they make a difference, and when millions of small businesses are making a difference, the world is a more beautiful place.
We are looking for a Search Engineer with a passion for building easily scalable and maintainable cloud based products. You’ll lead the development of Elasticsearch based software data stores, integrating them seamlessly into our distributed systems. Along the way, train and coach the rest of the team in all things Elasticsearch. The position will also give you the chance to gain exposure to a range of other languages/technologies.About the Team
The History amp; Notes team has a challenging problem to solve; how to ingest, store and serve Activity History for all of Xero’s users. With Xero’s massive growth over the last 10 years, you can imagine that it is a big problem to solve!nbsp;To ensure that what we build, will be used, will be loved, and will meet our mission, we follow a "Lean Startup" mindset. We aim to discover as quickly as possible whether something will fail, or flourish, through rapid delivery and experimentation.nbsp;nbsp;We are a collaborative team that supports each other, and the teams around us. We are human, and we never take ourselves too seriously. We value quality and passionately care about our customers.About the Role
- Design and develop beautiful software solutions as part of our cross-functional team
- Mentor and support junior development talent, and help them reach their potential
- Take ownership of problems and fix them regardless of the cause
- Work closely with colleagues, to code review, and to provide insights and constructive feedback
- Prototype new solutions with real customers, test assumptions through experimentation, and decide whether we ‘pivot’ or ‘persevere’nbsp;Rapid delivery through our CI/CD pipeline
- You prefer to code collaboratively, working together as a team with high levels of communication, learning from more senior engineers as well as mentoring those with less experience.
- You are passionate about shipping high quality, well tested software through automation, proven best practices and appropriate design patterns.
- You take ownership of your code in production, using metrics and customer feedback to guide technical priorities and improvements.
- You work with a focus on helping your team succeed in their mission.
- You have a passion to grow, learn and bring new ideas and concepts to the team.
- You have experience demonstrating your ability to envision web-based services in a distributed environment that meets customer needs and solves business problems.
What you'll bring with you
- Engineering and Operations of large scale data systems using Elasticsearch:
- Data Modelling amp; Index Design
- Index Lifecycle Management
- Data Ingestion
- Cluster Management
- Coaching and mentoring of other developers
At Xero we support many types of flexible working arrangements that allow you to balance your work, your life and your passions. We offer a great remuneration package including shares plus a range of leave options to suit your well-being. Our work environment encourages continuous improvement and career development and you’ll get to work with the latest technology.nbsp;nbsp;
Our collaborative and inclusive culture is one we’re immensely proud of. We know that a diverse workforce is a strength that enables businesses, including ours, to better understand and serve customers, attract top talent and innovate successfully. We are a member of Pride in Diversity, in recognition of our inclusive workplace. So, from the moment you step through our doors, you’ll feel welcome and supported to do the best work of your life.